Monday, April 23, 2012

A Piece of Cake!

Happy Monday, y'all. 
Mondays are my Sundays, because I usually work on Sunday.  
Don't judge--I do believe it is part of my ministry to get up on Sunday and perform at a drag brunch. I bring my Ho-light to the peeps who would rather worship over mimosas, bloody marys, and pancakes. My kind of people. 
This Monday I am refocusing my week, and I just got done reading a great book I wanna share with you. See, Ho isn't just short for "whore," as I age, it also has morphed into being short for "holistic." I'm also thinking about adding an "e" to the end of my name so that HOE stands for Heaven on Earth.  
I believe we can achieve it, but we gotta feel it to heal it first, chile.
Which brings me to the book:
Peace From Broken Pieces, by Iyanla Vanzant
I would crown it a HOfficial Ho Book Club selection, if I had a book club. Maybe I will someday, but for today, I'm just gonna say--I loved this book.  


I've been reading Iyanla for a long ass time.  I first read her book In the Meantime, back when I was 24 and tryin to get over some man by gettin under a new one.  My way of healing didn't work out, but Iyanla's vulnerability has always been an inspiration.  
Iyanla is back with Oprah, and its great to see these 2 working it out! However, some of my favorite work that she ever did was on the tv show "Starting Over." This was a show that combined 2 of my favorite things
1. "reality" tv (sorry, its true-- it  is a guilty pleasure--I am addicted to most of it, and yes, I am aware that it has contributed to the fall of scripted tv) and 
2. what I like to call some "spiritual miritual" life coaching.  "Starting Over" was guilt free "reality" tv, sort of what Oprah's trying to do with some of the programming over at OWN.
In this clip 2 of my favorite things Reality TV Life Coaching are combined with 2 more: Cupcakes and Iyanla Vanzant


Ain't nothin better than watching Iyanla coach a bische through a battle with something I can really relate to. 
Sugar, honey.  
I have felt the call of the cupcake, the delusion of the dessert, and the seduction of the sweetner.  
I am working on it, and just wanna take a moment to thank Iyanla for sharing all her pieces, so that we can all aspire to peace...and I don't mean a piece of cake, hunty! 


No comments: